How do I promote students to the next grade level?
If your school manages student accounts manually and you would like to promote a group of students to the next grade, follow these steps:
Note: Staff members must have admin access to edit student accounts.
If your school or district is already syncing students via Clever, Classlink, or Canvas, updating the student grade levels at the end of the school year is not necessary. Your student accounts will be updated automatically.
- On your home screen, click on the "School Center" icon in the navigation menu on the left and then select "User Management".
- On the “Manage Students” tab, filter the student list by grade level.
To ensure that your student accounts remain clean and organized, we strongly recommend that when updating your student's grade levels, begin by working from the top down. Start with the highest grade in your building and delete your old students first – these would be students that have graduated and left your building. For example, if your school has grades 9 - 12, bulk-delete your outgoing 12th graders first before changing the grade levels of the other students. Then, update students one grade level at a time from the top down (ie...11th, 10th, 9th, etc.). This will prevent the mixing of students while you are updating grade levels. For instructions on how to bulk delete students by grade, refer to our Help Article, "How Do I Bulk Delete Students?".
- Once you have deleted your old students who have graduated and left your building, filter the student list again to select the next highest grade. In the student list, check the box next to the name(s) of the student(s) to be promoted, or check the top box to automatically select all students. Then, click “Update Student's Grade Level”.
You can use the “No. of Rows Per Page” link on the bottom right to display and update up to 100 students at a time. If you are promoting more than 100 students, you must repeat the steps for each page of students.
- In the pop-up box, use the drop-down arrow to select the new grade level and click "Promote".
- A confirmation pop-up box will briefly scroll in and appear in the top right corner of your screen and then it will go away. You can also filter the student list again to confirm that the correct grade-level changes were made.