How do School Admins Create a Shared Assessment?
Staff members with School Admin access can use Progress Learning to create common assessments that can be shared school-wide with teachers.
To create a shared assessment, follow these steps:
- From the home screen, select the "Assessment/Assignment Center" icon in the left navigation menu.
- In the "Assessments" box, click on the "Assessment Builder - School Assessment" link.
- On the "Settings" tab, give your assessment a name and select the subject and grade level. You also have the option to create an assessment tag. You can tag your assessment with a topical keyword or phrase to categorize and group assessments.
Optional Assessment Settings
There are additional settings that Admins can opt to use when creating a shared assessment. Here is a brief explanation of these settings and how they affect the assessments that you're creating.
Allow Students to View Item Results in Detail - This controls what type of score report the students will see after completing the assessment. There are three options:
- View no details - The student sees only their score and nothing else.
- View Questions Only - The student sees their score and they can review the questions. They do not see the correct answer choices.
- View Questions and Answers - The student sees their score and they can also see the questions, their response, and the correct answer choices and explanations.
Allow Teachers to Assign Assessments - This allows teachers to search for a shared assessment that you've created in the School Assessment Bank and they can assign it to their own students and the results will appear in their class grade book. If you select "No", an Admin would need to be the one to assign the assessment, and the scores are reported back to the Admin, NOT to the teacher. Please be aware that selecting "No" can limit the teacher's ability to view the assessment results.
Allow Teachers to View Content and Details - This allows teachers to preview the assessment before assigning it to students. If you do not want teachers to be able to see the assessment, you can select "No" and teachers will only be able to assign it to students.
Allow Teachers to Duplicate Assessment - This allows teachers to duplicate or make a copy of the assessment. Once a teacher makes a copy, he or she can also make changes to the assessment. It is important to note that when you make a copy of an assessment and make changes, it saves the assessment as a completely new and separate assessment and any results will be reported under that new assessment.
Display Questions in Random Order - Choosing "Yes" will mean that each child will get the same assessment, but the question order will be randomly shuffled for each child. Choosing "No" will mean that each child will get the same assessment in the same question order that you've chosen.
Allow Calculator - Choosing "Yes" will give students access to an online calculator. There are 3 types of calculators to choose from and they are from Desmos.
- When you have made all of your settings choices, scroll to the top and click "Save and Continue" to go on to the "Content" tab.